[linux-elitists] HTML in e-mail

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Mon Aug 25 04:54:30 PDT 2003

on Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 02:02:52PM -0400, Bret Martin (bam@miranda.org) wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 00:09:48 CDT Joakim Ziegler wrote:
> > On Wed, 2003-08-20 at 19:08, Ben Finney wrote:
> > > On 20-Aug-2003, Bret Martin wrote:
> >
> > > But mostly, the lack of education among Internet users is to blame.

<...>

> I find it ironic that in a thread about e-mail etiquette issues that
> more than one person would quote in the confusing, dare I say
> incorrect, way shown above.  I didn't write either of the passages
> that appear after my name. I realize that the nesting of the >s makes
> it possible to decipher, but why say "Bret Martin wrote:" at all if
> you're not citing any text that I wrote or anything that I quoted?!?!

;-)

> Back on the topic, quoting seems to be one of the things that doesn't
> work right with respect to HTML e-mail from what I can tell.  On the
> other hand, maybe quoting is a whole other problem area.  I have a
> couple of people I deal with on a regular basis who just inline my
> message and put a note at the top of theirs saying something like
> "BRET: MY COMMENTS WILL BE IN ALL CAPS".  Don't Outlook and other
> popular MUAs do automatic quoting in replies in the traditional way?
> (It's been so long since I used one that I wonder if I make false
> assumptions about what an MUA should be capable of when asking people
> to change what they send me.)

No, Outlook doesn't.

The default mode is to stuff everything forwarded to the bottom of the
message with some heavily redundant headers (Original message, Subject,
sender, date, etc.).  Most of which are redundant in a properly threaded
message.

The real harm comes from the fact that there isn't a consistent quote
prefix which will allow proper quote attribution.  Completelly fscks up
threaded discussion.  Not to mention the usual manglement of In-reply-to
and References headers.

Peace.

   NPR:  Radio for between the ears:  http://www.npr.org/