[linux-elitists] Update--distribution for your mother?

Martin Pool mbp@sourcefrog.net
Sun Aug 24 16:29:46 PDT 2003

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 11:55:29 +0300
Gilad Ben-Yossef <gilad@benyossef.com> wrote:
> Just create a shared library that hijacks the open() and friends file
> related system calls (for starters you can start with just unlink()) . > and
> override them with something that keeps a copy of the old version
> around
> prior to change. You then can apply this to specific programs or
> specific users via use of LD_PRELOAD.

I don't think that works anymore with new glibcs.  At any rate  smbwrapper, which did cifs client access using this method, can no longer be supported.  If I remember correctly Ulrich thinks this is not a supported interface so he removed it.

Doing it in kernel space is not all that hard.  There are several incomplete implementations.

--
Martin