[linux-elitists] Rev 0.1: For the non-elite: a Knoppix for the masses FAQ

D. Joe Anderson deejoe@raccoon.com
Sun Aug 24 10:52:09 PDT 2003

On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 02:58:59AM +0000, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 01:09:01AM +0000, Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
> > In the spirit of bringing GNU/Linux awareness to the masses, I've burned
> > a spool of 50 CDs with the v3.1 1-2003-20-EN Knoppix release.  I'm
> > handing these out to the man/woman on the street.

> > What I'd like to include is a short FAQ covering likly questions, to be
> > inserted into the disk sleeve (budget conscious, jewelcases are too
> > steep), form factor is a 4-7/8" x 9-3/4" (12.40cm x 24.75cm for the
> > metric crowd), folded sleave.  Front should feature some sort of Knoppix
> > art, inside would have a FAQ, back cover possibly contact information
> > for the person or organization distributing the material.
> >
> > I'd *really* appreciate some layout-foo in putting this together.  I'm
> > also looking for feedback on the FAQ itself.  Note that it's aimed at
> > the rank newbie (likely), and needs to fit readably in the form factor
> > described above.  There's *plenty* of information on the disk itself and
> > elsewhere, so a pointer to this is sufficient.  And the current version
> > is likely too long, so I'm looking at candidates for removal and
> > condensation rather than expanding it at all.
>
> Updated FAQ follows, thanks for the feedback, y'all.
>
> I could still use help formatting this for printing.  I'm currently
> leaning towar LaTeX -- it's available on most 'Nix desktops.

Two versions of the FAQ here, links to which submitted for your
gentle consideration:

The first, in OpenOffice.org, formatted for a single side of US
Letter, but much as presented in the previous email to this list:

http://dui.debian.net/hardcopy/poster/knoppix-faq.sxw

I've mailed that along with a couple of copies of knoppix to
someone who has shell access to the Redhat system hosting a
web-based "community" site he hosts, but doesn't know how to use
it.  Hopefully this will give him something to practice shell
basics without fear of screwing up his site.

Second, an edited version of the FAQ squeezed onto one panel of
a six-panel pamphlet (US Letter printed in landscape format,
folded twice parallel to the short edge):

http://dui.debian.net/hardcopy/freedom-pamphlet/freedom-pamphlet-dots-dui-knx-faq-0.83.sxw

The pamphlets, folded yet a third time, fit into a paper sleeve
with the disk. I removed the Mac question as having been covered
already by the "what does it need to run" question.  I added the
"demo, huh?" question, though in hindsight the "crappy,
crippled" word-choice might not be quite mild enough to avoid
unintended offense.

Our public library (among other places around town) has space
where community and special interest groups can leave small
sheaves of pamphlets for people to pick up.  This weekend I've
left one of these paper-sleeved packages and a copy of the
standalone pamphlet, without the KNOPPIX FAQ, to be evaluated
for approval to distribute this way in quantity.

We'll see how it goes.

--Joe