[linux-elitists] sobig.f: Microsoft Windows virus, not computer virus

Gilad Ben-Yossef gilad@benyossef.com
Sun Aug 24 07:30:22 PDT 2003

M. Drew Streib wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 09:21:00PM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
>
>>Users of other operating systems -- GNU/Linux, Macintosh, FreeBSD, BeOS,
>>etc., are immune to infections from this virus (though Lord knows,
>>we're getting enough crud from the rest of you out there).
>

> As you sort of stated, my GNU/Linux mailserver is far from immune, in that
> I'm currently processing and throwing away in excess of 20,000 viruses/day,
> chewing approximately a quarter megabit of 24x7 bandwidth.
>
> I'm not infected, but I'm far from isolated from the problem, and nothing
> I can really do about it.
>
> Thanks Microsoft.

A completly hyopthetical question: suppose a made up car maker dubbed
Fnord corp. has issued a recall to the popular model, Fnord Prefect,
since aforementioned car model has the  unfortunate tendecy to explode
under some rather common circumstances.

Assume also that said Fnord corp. has sent out letters to all Fnord
prefect owners telling them that they should call in to schedule a car
fix, but otherwise made not attampt to make them fix the car, if they
fail to call said number.

Now assume that I am the proud owner of a car of some unspecified model,
which is not made by the august Fnord corporation. Also suppose that
while driving on the 101 one Wed evening, the car right next to me has
exploded and caused massive damage to may car and killed my favorite
cat, Alfred.

Now for the question: is the Fnord Corp. liable for my damages?

If it (possibly) does, how does this apply to Microsift?

I mean, those poor folks that accept the Microsift EULA acknowledge that
Microsift is not liable for damages from the use of their software, but
I never signed, agree or otherwise bound myself to the license and
accepted it's terms.

Interesting question, don't you think?

Gilad