[linux-elitists] HTML in e-mail

Joakim Ziegler joakim@avmaria.com
Sat Aug 23 20:49:41 PDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-08-23 at 19:14, Ben Finney wrote:
> On 22-Aug-2003, Bret Martin wrote:
> > One of the folks I've dealt with recently on this issue is actually
> > pretty technical.  But whenever I ask him to not send HTML e-mail, his
> > response is along the lines of "but can I do bold text?  what do you
> > suggest I do if I need that?"

> How about this response: "But what if I want to read your email on my
> phone?  Or process it through an automated, standards-compliant mail
> processor?  Or forward it to a blind person?  What use is bold text in
> those contexts?  Or is it that the bold text *doesn't add anything
> useful*?"

Speech synthesizers actually use bolding and the like to know where to
add stress to sentences. If your phone or standards-compliant mail
processor can't get the text part out of multipart-alternative, it sort
of sucks, change to better software. And, hey, in saying that it doesn't
add anything useful, you used the plaintext equivalent of bolding
yourself. Did that add anything?

--
   The Private Joakim Ziegler - Not Speaking For Anyone But Myself
    joakim@avmaria.com - http://www.avmaria.com - rdgzt@Undernet