[linux-elitists] HTML in e-mail

Ben Finney ben@benfinney.id.au
Sat Aug 23 17:14:27 PDT 2003

On 22-Aug-2003, Bret Martin wrote:
> One of the folks I've dealt with recently on this issue is actually
> pretty technical.  But whenever I ask him to not send HTML e-mail, his
> response is along the lines of "but can I do bold text?  what do you
> suggest I do if I need that?"

How about this response: "But what if I want to read your email on my
phone?  Or process it through an automated, standards-compliant mail
processor?  Or forward it to a blind person?  What use is bold text in
those contexts?  Or is it that the bold text *doesn't add anything
useful*?"

--
 \     "For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, |
  `\                            neat, and wrong."  -- Henry L. Mencken |