[linux-elitists] HTML in e-mail

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Fri Aug 22 21:50:04 PDT 2003

on Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 08:58:52PM -0700, Nick Moffitt (nick@zork.net) wrote:
> begin  Bret Martin  quotation:
> > I have to admit that I am somewhat torn on the issue, which is why I
> > sent the mail -- and I figured I'd get at least one response along
> > these lines.  But I certainly didn't expect it to come from you,
> > Nick!  Life is full of surprises.
>
> 	Hell, I use antiword, pstotext, and a bunch of other apps to
> make zork turn ALL big ugly incoming attachments into plain text.  If
> there were a decent gifscii-type program that could turn all the
> images into ascii art reliably, I'd use that too.
>
> 	So eh, whatever.  People send me rtf, and out comes plain
> text.  My giveashit broke two years ago, once I solved the problem for
> myself (and indeed, all zork users).  It's like the reply-to munging
> thing.  I'll argue that it's wrong, but I've fixed the problem so that
> I don't have to deal with it unless someone actually set a reply-to
> that got blasted.  When I hit r, mutt now ignores all list-munged
> reply-tos.
>
> 	Do I still say it's correct to leave the header for what it
> was intended?  HELL YES.  Do I still say that HTML is a bad thing for
> e-mail?  HELL YES.  Do I have to waste time fretting about it?  Hell
> no.

The problem (and I've been bit by this) is when setting the Reply-to
header to explicitly be _off_ list (appropriate in some cases), and
having this be broken by the list.

So which I've solved the problem for me, others can still shoot
themselves in the foot.

Peace.

  TWikIWeThey: An experiment in collective intelligence.  Stupidity.  Whatever.
    Technical docs, discussion, reviews, opinion.
      http://twiki.iwethey.org/