[linux-elitists] HTML in e-mail

Nick Moffitt nick@zork.net
Fri Aug 22 20:58:52 PDT 2003

begin  Bret Martin  quotation:
> I have to admit that I am somewhat torn on the issue, which is why I
> sent the mail -- and I figured I'd get at least one response along
> these lines.  But I certainly didn't expect it to come from you,
> Nick!  Life is full of surprises.

	Hell, I use antiword, pstotext, and a bunch of other apps to
make zork turn ALL big ugly incoming attachments into plain text.  If
there were a decent gifscii-type program that could turn all the
images into ascii art reliably, I'd use that too.

	So eh, whatever.  People send me rtf, and out comes plain
text.  My giveashit broke two years ago, once I solved the problem for
myself (and indeed, all zork users).  It's like the reply-to munging
thing.  I'll argue that it's wrong, but I've fixed the problem so that
I don't have to deal with it unless someone actually set a reply-to
that got blasted.  When I hit r, mutt now ignores all list-munged
reply-tos.

	Do I still say it's correct to leave the header for what it
was intended?  HELL YES.  Do I still say that HTML is a bad thing for
e-mail?  HELL YES.  Do I have to waste time fretting about it?  Hell
no.

--
Support your droogs!

end