[linux-elitists] HTML in e-mail

Bret Martin bam@miranda.org
Fri Aug 22 11:02:52 PDT 2003

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 00:09:48 CDT Joakim Ziegler wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-08-20 at 19:08, Ben Finney wrote:
> > On 20-Aug-2003, Bret Martin wrote:
>
> > But mostly, the lack of education among Internet users is to blame.
> > People who can't see a reason why email should not be pretty and
> > animated, will demand it of their vendor.  Some vendors will comply.
[...]

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 16:39:38 PDT Jim Richardson wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 10:08:03AM +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
> > On 20-Aug-2003, Bret Martin wrote:
>
> > This takes education that what they're doing is actually harmful.  Some
> > people don't give a crap if what they do causes harm, but most simply
> > don't understand that one way of email could possibly be more harmful
> > than another.  That education is a delicate and difficult process, and
> > messing up the first time usually means there will be no future
> > opportunities to educate that person.
[...]

I find it ironic that in a thread about e-mail etiquette issues that
more than one person would quote in the confusing, dare I say incorrect,
way shown above.  I didn't write either of the passages that appear
after my name. I realize that the nesting of the >s makes it possible to
decipher, but why say "Bret Martin wrote:" at all if you're not citing
any text that I wrote or anything that I quoted?!?!

Back on the topic, quoting seems to be one of the things that doesn't
work right with respect to HTML e-mail from what I can tell.  On the
other hand, maybe quoting is a whole other problem area.  I have a
couple of people I deal with on a regular basis who just inline my
message and put a note at the top of theirs saying something like "BRET:
MY COMMENTS WILL BE IN ALL CAPS".  Don't Outlook and other popular MUAs
do automatic quoting in replies in the traditional way?  (It's been so
long since I used one that I wonder if I make false assumptions about
what an MUA should be capable of when asking people to change what they
send me.)

--Bret