[linux-elitists] We've seen SCO's evidence

Jonathan Corbet corbet-elite@lwn.net
Fri Aug 22 14:16:45 PDT 2003

> "I do not dispute that this letter was distributed and that Caldera
> at the time allowed 16-bit, non-UNIX System V code to be contributed
> to Linux for non-commercial use."  -- Blake Stowell

Interesting.  I got the same statement (and PDF of the letter, as if I
didn't have one already), but somehow missed the non-commercial part.  I
guess I'm not surprised they'd like to back out of that release at this
time, though that could prove hard.

Who, if anybody, ever had the original letter with a real signature?  Does
"UNIX enthusiasts" have a physical address where they received mail?

Of course, to some of us, at least, it now looks like the malloc code
really was lifted from SYSV, and not 32V at all.  I think we're going to
have to face up to that.  I also think it's not that big of a deal - if we
deal with it in a straightforward way.  Not necessarily worse than taking
the "it came from 32V even though it looks more like SYSV, and we're going
to hope the public domain ruling sticks" approach.

jon