[linux-elitists] HTML in e-mail

Jeff Kinz jkinz@kinz.org
Fri Aug 22 10:35:30 PDT 2003

On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 12:07:51PM -0500, Joakim Ziegler wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-08-22 at 07:48, Jeff Kinz wrote:
> > As a result these folks now pay 400% of what they would have paid
> > to download the same mail as non-html email.  (300% more than 100%).
>
> > That doesn't seem trivial. And its clearly wasteful.  I would certainly
> > object to paying extra that wasn't neccessary.
>
> Well, as I said several times, most people don't get 100 mails per day.
> People like us (hackers, mailing list village idiots, etc.) do, but
> we're in a very small minority, and we tend to have much more bandwidth
> anyway.

Except that regular users are getting copies of movie trailers and other
enormous attachments so they get much more data emailed than "People Like us".
I can use my own family as proof of that.

> And it's not like the price is high. I'm from Norway, which does use
> per-time metering for phone calls. I believe the cost right now is
> equivalent to about 5 cents per minute during the day, and about half
> that at night. Do the maths.

Please do - and add up the total for everyone it affects.  Just because
the cost is spread out over millions of subscribers does not mean it is
negligible.  On an annual basis its probably higher than the GDP for
some countries. (small, poor, countries admittedly, but still... :-)

I believe the cost is higher in the UK and Germany?

Also - Its only a matter of time before most ISP's abandon flat rate
pricing structures and begin charging directly for BOTH connect time and
data transferred ala - the phone company voice connection model.

Why?  As both the data transfer speed and the data transfer rate
increase the ISP's will be forced to adapt to a more dynamic billing
response since some small percentage of their user's will be consuming
most of the capacity of the their networks.

Example - Here in the US, the largest cable provider shuts off the
internet access of flat-rate who transfer more data than a certain
amount, (AND they don't publish what the limit is!) Company is
ComCast, who recently took over AT&T's cable operations.

> > > Does that matter? Really? Most people on those pay-per-minute dialup
> > > lines get nowhere close 100 mails per day.
>
> > Well since it doesn't matter I take it you are willing to pay for all
> > the extra time for those folks with metered access to download their
> > html email?
>
> This is, of course, missing the point totally, since the very wide and
> thin spread of the cost is what makes it negligible.
>
> --
>    The Private Joakim Ziegler - Not Speaking For Anyone But Myself
>     joakim@avmaria.com - http://www.avmaria.com - rdgzt@Undernet
>             http://www.avmaria.com/ - http://www.fix.no/

Jeff Kinz, Open-PC, Emergent Research,  Hudson, MA.  jkinz@kinz.org
copyright 2003.  Use is restricted. Any use is an
acceptance of the offer at http://www.kinz.org/policy.html.
Don't forget to change your password often.