[linux-elitists] HTML in e-mail

Joakim Ziegler joakim@avmaria.com
Fri Aug 22 10:07:51 PDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-08-22 at 07:48, Jeff Kinz wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 12:27:49PM -0500, Joakim Ziegler wrote:
> > On Thu, 2003-08-21 at 00:31, Michael Neuffer wrote:

> > Even then, people have 56k modems. They get an effective download speed
> > of 5-6kB per second (actually, probably more, since they have
> > compression). How big are mails? Multiply by 3 to get the size in
> > multipart/alternative with HTML. Don't count the attachments, though, if
> > people are sending you attachments, they'll send them anyway.

> As a result these folks now pay 400% of what they would have paid
> to download the same mail as non-html email.  (300% more than 100%).

> That doesn't seem trivial. And its clearly wasteful.  I would certainly
> object to paying extra that wasn't neccessary.

Well, as I said several times, most people don't get 100 mails per day.
People like us (hackers, mailing list village idiots, etc.) do, but
we're in a very small minority, and we tend to have much more bandwidth
anyway.

And it's not like the price is high. I'm from Norway, which does use
per-time metering for phone calls. I believe the cost right now is
equivalent to about 5 cents per minute during the day, and about half
that at night. Do the maths.

> > Does that matter? Really? Most people on those pay-per-minute dialup
> > lines get nowhere close 100 mails per day.

> Well since it doesn't matter I take it you are willing to pay for all
> the extra time for those folks with metered access to download their
> html email?

This is, of course, missing the point totally, since the very wide and
thin spread of the cost is what makes it negligible.

--
   The Private Joakim Ziegler - Not Speaking For Anyone But Myself
    joakim@avmaria.com - http://www.avmaria.com - rdgzt@Undernet