[linux-elitists] HTML in e-mail

Jeff Kinz jkinz@kinz.org
Fri Aug 22 05:48:41 PDT 2003

On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 12:27:49PM -0500, Joakim Ziegler wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-08-21 at 00:31, Michael Neuffer wrote:
> > Quoting Joakim Ziegler (joakim@avmaria.com):
> > > The malware argument is because of broken clients. The wasteful
> > > argument, well, that's slightly ridiculous in today's world of 100k+
> > > HTML pages and multi-megabit home internet connections.
>
> > And enough that still are -not by their own choice- behind
> > pay-per-minute dialup lines.
>
> Even then, people have 56k modems. They get an effective download speed
> of 5-6kB per second (actually, probably more, since they have
> compression). How big are mails? Multiply by 3 to get the size in
> multipart/alternative with HTML. Don't count the attachments, though, if
> people are sending you attachments, they'll send them anyway.

As a result these folks now pay 400% of what they would have paid
to download the same mail as non-html email.  (300% more than 100%).

That doesn't seem trivial. And its clearly wasteful.  I would certainly
object to paying extra that wasn't neccessary.

> Average size of mails on this list seems to be 3-4kB. So that's 12kB as
> multipart/alternative. 100 mails like that is 1.2MB, instead of 400kB.
> You increased download time on a modem from a little over a minute to 3
> and a half minutes.

To download 1.2 MB over dialup?  From a mail server?  I certainly never
got anywhere near that throughput for downloading mail over a dialup.
More like 15-30 min/MB  (Due mostly to the load on the email server,
I believe).

> Does that matter? Really? Most people on those pay-per-minute dialup
> lines get nowhere close 100 mails per day.

Well since it doesn't matter I take it you are willing to pay for all
the extra time for those folks with metered access to download their
html email?

Just give me your address. I'll make sure they know you'll pay the extra
for them. I'm sure they'll be in touch. :-)

Coupla' bucks a month times several million users - no problem!

--
Jeff Kinz, Open-PC, Emergent Research,  Hudson, MA.  jkinz@kinz.org
copyright 2003.  Use is restricted. Any use is an