[linux-elitists] HTML in e-mail

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Fri Aug 22 02:58:29 PDT 2003

on Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 01:39:16AM -0700, Aaron Lehmann (aaronl@vitelus.com) wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 01:17:45AM -0500, Joakim Ziegler wrote:
> > CPU capacity, RAM, and bandwidth is only useful if it's used. When it's
> > idle, it's just wasted.
>
> This is the flawed philosophy behind every system that takes more CPU
> than it should. When I get a new computer, I get it to make things
> snappier - i.e. decrease interactive response times. Saying "there's
> so much idle CPU to be used" just isn't true in the context of an
> interactive program. And of course the statement is not true at all on
> older computers, where HTML email takes awhile to render and GNOME is
> very sluggish.

I find this argument more compelling today in the handheld/embedded
space.  There were several handhelds at LWCE with more capabilities in
terms of RAM, CPU, and disk, then about half of my "desktops" here right
now....

Still, I think Moore's law will have caught up with us by the time such
devices are truely ubiquitous.  Though I also largely despise technology
which pigs out top-end HW.  I get by very well with smaller application
sets, on older HW.  And with largely more effective functionality and
less cruft and annoyance.

Peace.

    Windows Refund Day II:  fight for your right to refund
    http://www.windowsrefund.net/