[linux-elitists] HTML in e-mail

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Fri Aug 22 02:54:42 PDT 2003

on Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 06:17:17PM +1000, Ben Finney (ben@benfinney.id.au) wrote:
> On 22-Aug-2003, M. Drew Streib wrote:
> > No, you don't really need to know this post is from me, but in a world
> > where processing power is supposed to be cheap (despite gnupg's
> > slowness sometimes), my signature _should_ be inoffensive, and has on
> > several occasions prompted conversation or inquiry.
>
> I sign all my email, generating "application/pgp-signature" attachments,
> because I want to promote the use of cryptography for all electronic
> communication.  I believe the resulting environment will be a better one
> than if it weren't used.
>
> I reject HTML email, marked by "text/html" attachments, because I want
> to discourage the use of presentation markup[0] for everyday text
> communication.  I believe the resulting environment is a worse one than
> if it weren't used.

I find that the simple act of returning a document, regardless of form
presented, as text, usually transmits this message with considerable
impact.  Nothing like those hours of formatting going down the drain....

It's also amazing how often I stymie legacy MS Windows users with some
text file I send....  Say, "recipies".

    "I can't open your attachment."

    "Just open it.  It's text."

    "If I click on it, it won't open."

I'd lie and say that they usually say "but it doesn't have a file
extension", but most users have extensions hidden anyway, and don't
realize this.  Sad.

Particularly since, on the side of Light and GNU/Linux, we know that
what you really want is magic.

Peace.

   zIWETHEY: Provocative, super smart, and oh yeah, just a little sexy.
     http://z.iwethey.org/forums/