[linux-elitists] HTML in e-mail

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Fri Aug 22 02:51:20 PDT 2003

on Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 07:50:07AM +0000, M. Drew Streib (dtype@dtype.org) wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 12:44:02AM -0700, Nick Moffitt wrote:
> > 	Whatever, just keep weakening that key's strength through
> > repetitive signatures!  I'm sure the whole world is just DYING TO KNOW
> > that it's REALLY YOU.
> >
> > 	I save my key for important things, like release announcements
> > and software md5sum verification.
>
> I think these days I sign all my mail not for real reasons, other than
> to promote pgp/gpg signature use in general.

This is one reason.

The other was when I started finding my email addresses spoofed.  First
time was a defunct address (at a defunct domain) on Usenet.  But it
still sucked.  With viral mail floating around....

One mailing list I'm on has just decreed that it will disable
attachments, while restricting postings to subscribed members.  I
pointed out that attachments are one of the few ways of providing strong
assurance of sender identity (though content-based filters such as
Spamassassin are far better an antispam solution).

Peace.

    Americans [...] need to watch what they say.
    -- Ari Fleischer, White House Press Secretary
       http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2001/09/20010926-5.html