[linux-elitists] Stupid mail system (was: HTML in e-mail)

Aaron Lehmann aaronl@vitelus.com
Fri Aug 22 01:53:05 PDT 2003

On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 07:32:41AM +0000, M. Drew Streib wrote:
> My most recent mailserver stupid DoS was this sobig virus sending
> 100kb messages to my *-request aliases, which get processed by Mailman
> at a very slow rate, virtually shutting down my listserver for a few hours.

Tell me about it. At my personal account I got 204MB of the virus
*IN THE PAST 24 HOURS*. That's 2000 copies. And about as much before
today. I've been getting hundreds of bounces a day, too.

Has anyone been hit this hard? I'm very upset about it, and mostly how
the internet has regressed so much that the situation is basically
hopeless. I'm very nostolgic for the days before spammers, online
windows users, and the "internet economy".