[linux-elitists] HTML in e-mail

Peter Clay pete@flatline.org.uk
Fri Aug 22 01:41:08 PDT 2003

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003, Nick Moffitt wrote:

> begin  Joakim Ziegler  quotation:
> > I mean, sure, 20MB attachments is starting to suck a lot. 650MB is
> > just ridiculous. But people use it because there's nothing else that
> > works as easily and with so little chance of failure.
>
> 	I don't know of anyone who accepts individual e-mails over
> 3MB, whether that's at the MTA level or MDA.

I do, and I've configured my employer's mailserver to do so as
well. Why? Because we make ASIC design software, and frequently need to
receive > 10Mb verilog files from customers with problems. It's just the
nature of the business. There's no more user-time-efficient way of getting
a single large file to a single recipient. And as long as both parties
have fat pipes and underloaded MTAs, there's no problem.

It would be nice if there was a good way for casual users to easily
publish things like "funny" videos and share links to them; there have
been various services which provided this, but they tend to get
overwhelmed by porn and warez for the obvious reasons.

Pete
(If you thought Outlook's stability was bad, try adding the Bynari
"exchange replacement" plugin to it ... it does work, but only at ongoing
cost to my sanity)
--
Peter Clay                                         | Campaign for   _  _| .__
                                                   | Digital       /  / | |