[linux-elitists] HTML in e-mail

Aaron Lehmann aaronl@vitelus.com
Fri Aug 22 01:39:16 PDT 2003

On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 01:17:45AM -0500, Joakim Ziegler wrote:
> CPU capacity, RAM, and bandwidth is only useful if it's used. When it's
> idle, it's just wasted.

This is the flawed philosophy behind every system that takes more CPU
than it should. When I get a new computer, I get it to make things
snappier - i.e. decrease interactive response times. Saying "there's
so much idle CPU to be used" just isn't true in the context of an
interactive program. And of course the statement is not true at all on
older computers, where HTML email takes awhile to render and GNOME is
very sluggish.