[linux-elitists] HTML in e-mail

M. Drew Streib dtype@dtype.org
Fri Aug 22 01:28:37 PDT 2003

On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 06:17:17PM +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
> How would you[1] resolve this conflict?  (If you disagree with either of
> the above two stances, obviously you don't need to resolve a conflict
> between them.  But thanks for thinking of pointing that out to me.)

I agree with both, and have tried to adhere to both in my own email.

> [0] Yes, HTML is supposed to be structural markup -- but its use in
> email is *never* for structure, and *always* for presentation.

Actually, I'm not sure HTML is supposed to be for markup. Nobody
on this list will argue that HTML is a markup language. It is rather
a presentation language. If someone argues otherwise, I'll think less
of them. (not that they care)

Anyone that tries to convince me that a <b> tag is markup, and not
presentation, is going to lose the argument. Have at it.

-drew

--
M. Drew Streib <dtype@dtype.org>
Independent Rambler, Software/Standards/Freedom/Law -- http://dtype.org/