[linux-elitists] HTML in e-mail

M. Drew Streib dtype@dtype.org
Fri Aug 22 00:50:07 PDT 2003

On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 12:44:02AM -0700, Nick Moffitt wrote:
> 	Whatever, just keep weakening that key's strength through
> repetitive signatures!  I'm sure the whole world is just DYING TO KNOW
> that it's REALLY YOU.
>
> 	I save my key for important things, like release announcements
> and software md5sum verification.

I think these days I sign all my mail not for real reasons, other than
to promote pgp/gpg signature use in general.

No, you don't really need to know this post is from me, but in a world
where processing power is supposed to be cheap (despite gnupg's slowness
sometimes), my signature _should_ be inoffensive, and has on several
occasions prompted conversation or inquiry.

I know that due to the fact that I have several signatures on the key,
mail from me is slow to open. Hell, I can't open my own damn mail with
less than a second wait, but I keep telling myself that gnupg/cpu power
will improve, and that a signature is at worst trivially cpu intensive,
and at best a whole lot more.

I do agree with you though, that for software release/md5sum/etc, it
is a very important step. Much more than general email use.

-drew

--
M. Drew Streib <dtype@dtype.org>
Independent Rambler, Software/Standards/Freedom/Law -- http://dtype.org/