[linux-elitists] Stupid mail system (was: HTML in e-mail)

M. Drew Streib dtype@dtype.org
Fri Aug 22 00:32:41 PDT 2003

On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 12:23:50AM -0700, Nick Moffitt wrote:
> Long ago, I had someone DoS my machine by sending an enormous mail.
> Sendmail kept starting up more and more procmails to read it in and
> work on delivery, so it'd bring my box down every time I managed to
> get it rebooted.  Took me a while to figure it out, boot without
> sendmail running, and clean out the queue.
>
> This would have been late 1996 or early 1997, so "large" was like
> 300MB.

My most recent mailserver stupid DoS was this sobig virus sending
100kb messages to my *-request aliases, which get processed by Mailman
at a very slow rate, virtually shutting down my listserver for a few hours.

Some global filters fixed things, but sobig.f didn't hurt on the actual
virus end, but on the virus to request addresses, and more recently the
million and a half bounces from servers who think I sent them a virus,
but in reality received a forged header.

<me fooling sobig>
This message was send from bill.gates@microsoft.com. Please send any
complaints about it to him, since he was the originator of this message.
You can know this for sure because I'm telling you this right now.
</me being sobig>

-drew

--
M. Drew Streib <dtype@dtype.org>