[linux-elitists] HTML in e-mail

Joakim Ziegler joakim@avmaria.com
Fri Aug 22 00:05:48 PDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-08-22 at 01:50, Ron Guerin wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-08-22 at 02:17, Joakim Ziegler wrote:
> > I do appreciate the possibility of embedding images in HTML, ...

> That's the only reason I ever send one.  Although that leads me to the
> single worst abuse of e-mail, having little to do with HTML.

> People who use e-mail as a file transfer system.

It sucks. But people do it because it's the easiest option. I mean, if
you need to send a file (big or small) to someone in, say, another city,
and you're both behind restrictive firewalls, what are the options?

You could put it up on a web server, but that requires transferring it
manually, and then setting up some sort of password thing if the file is
private.

You could use an instant messaging system's file transfer facilities,
but that more often than not fails to get through firewalls, etc.

Or you could just write an email and attach it, and it'll get there, and
it hardly ever fails.

I mean, sure, 20MB attachments is starting to suck a lot. 650MB is just
ridiculous. But people use it because there's nothing else that works as
easily and with so little chance of failure.

--
   The Private Joakim Ziegler - Not Speaking For Anyone But Myself
    joakim@avmaria.com - http://www.avmaria.com - rdgzt@Undernet