[linux-elitists] HTML in e-mail

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Thu Aug 21 23:48:59 PDT 2003

on Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 01:11:01AM -0500, Joakim Ziegler (joakim@avmaria.com) wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-08-21 at 23:47, Michael Neuffer wrote:
> > Quoting Joakim Ziegler (joakim@avmaria.com):

> So, every 8 hours you get 35kB of mail, which takes something like 8
> seconds to download on your ISDN line. If it was HTML, you'd be spending
> 20 seconds instead. Explain to me again how this matters?

Well, then there's l'il ole' me, who's got a 34MB fetchmail dump (rule
change bit my ass) that I need to crawl through.

I normally get past the sheer volume, bloat, spam, attachments, and
other forms of hell problem by parking my mutt session on a remote box
(over a continent and an ocean away from me).  It's got a fat pipe for
all the bloat, mutt's got text and filtering for ready access to it.

But that 34 MiB of viral crap is at least a two-hour download, if I want
to work on it locally.  Yes, with compression.

Fat email sucks.

Peace.

  Backgrounder on the Caldera/SCO vs. IBM and Linux dispute.
      http://sco.iwethey.org/