[linux-elitists] HTML in e-mail

Joakim Ziegler joakim@avmaria.com
Thu Aug 21 23:17:45 PDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-08-21 at 20:25, Tim Hammerquist wrote:
> Joakim Ziegler wrote:

> > (one can argue over whether or not HTML is the right format to
> > use for rich text email, but it's there, it's easy, so why
> > not).

> RTF is an encoding type of its own which is not near so bloated.

Yeah, I agree, RTF might well have been a much better choice. Or just
something less featureful than HTML. I do appreciate the possibility of
embedding images in HTML, though, can you do that in RTF?

(Why I like embedding images: If you want to show someone something
graphical, it's a lot easier to say "Compare this <image> to this
<image>" instead of saying "Compare attachment 12 to attachment 13" and
people have to scroll down or something to look at them.

> > The wasteful argument, well, that's slightly ridiculous in
> > today's world of 100k+ HTML pages and multi-megabit home
> > internet connections.

> Multi-megabit DSL connexion: check, but only in the last couple
> months.  It's still not available where I used to live.

> 100k+ HTML (assuming "web") pages: don't visit them.

> I always cringe when someone makes that sort of argument, whether
> it relates to bandwidth, memory, CPU cycles, or disk space.  One
> of Linux' greatest strengths is that it can still make effective
> use of computer hardware long forsaken by Microsoft.  Why should
> we let the web fall victim to the same tendencies that
> proprietary software has shown?

> Some inflation is normal, though unfortunate[1], but Linux (and
> the Unix(TM) family of operating systems haven't gain an edge by
> wastefully using resources.

Well, of course there's a balance to everything. But in general, if I
can spend 50% more CPU on something that will make it 20% more useful or
make it take up 10% less of my time on an average workday, of course I
want that. Same thing, if HTML mail is used to make mail more readable,
so I can more efficiently absorb the information in it, I'm willing to
spend more bandwidth and CPU power to achieve that.

CPU capacity, RAM, and bandwidth is only useful if it's used. When it's
idle, it's just wasted.

--
   The Private Joakim Ziegler - Not Speaking For Anyone But Myself
    joakim@avmaria.com - http://www.avmaria.com - rdgzt@Undernet