[linux-elitists] HTML in e-mail

M. Drew Streib dtype@dtype.org
Thu Aug 21 23:15:34 PDT 2003

On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 01:08:11AM -0500, Joakim Ziegler wrote:
> I still feel like HTML mail is getting a bad reputation not because of
> what it is, but because of the uses it's sometimes put to. Most of the
> same arguments can be (and often are) used against the web, too, but
> there's no disputing that the web is an extremely useful thing.

Agreed.

I guess the problem is that many of us use e-mail as more than a browsing
mechanism, and must get through hundreds or thousands of e-mails daily,
and find it a lot easier to do in a text MUA.

I think that HTML isn't a problem because it is different, but because
it is abused to nonsensically (a word?) to mark up what should be simple
text. If it was only used for what was truly necessary for graphic
presentation (aka, spam and ads), then I think I'd be fine with it.

But I don't need to get a mail with the text "Thanks", enclosed by
some 5KB of random and nonstandard HTML.

Perhaps some sort of better markup would be better, and one that allowed
me to throw out formatting if I so chose...

I do sort of wish that mutt had an option to process html and only show
me the text, throwing out all tables, graphics, etc, but ohwell. Maybe
that is a project for me later.

-drew

--
M. Drew Streib <dtype@dtype.org>