[linux-elitists] HTML in e-mail

Joakim Ziegler joakim@avmaria.com
Thu Aug 21 23:11:01 PDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-08-21 at 23:47, Michael Neuffer wrote:
> Quoting Joakim Ziegler (joakim@avmaria.com):

> > Even then, people have 56k modems. They get an effective download speed
> > of 5-6kB per second (actually, probably more, since they have
> > compression). How big are mails? Multiply by 3 to get the size in
> > multipart/alternative with HTML. Don't count the attachments, though, if
> > people are sending you attachments, they'll send them anyway.

> > Average size of mails on this list seems to be 3-4kB. So that's 12kB as
> > multipart/alternative. 100 mails like that is 1.2MB, instead of 400kB.
> > You increased download time on a modem from a little over a minute to 3
> > and a half minutes.

> > Does that matter? Really? Most people on those pay-per-minute dialup
> > lines get nowhere close 100 mails per day.

> Really ?

> NB: In Germany people mostly have ISDN and no, usually you do
> not get compression on it.

No, but you get straight 64kbps and very low latency, which makes up for
it.

> This is the tail of my fetchmail log. I started polling mail about
> 25min ago. This is the mail that came in within roughly the last 8 hours.

> fetchmail: reading message neuffer@mail.uni-mainz.de:185 of 385 (2275 header octets) fetchmail:  (10464 body octets) fetchmail:  flushe
> fetchmail: reading message neuffer@mail.uni-mainz.de:186 of 385 (2478 header octets) fetchmail:  (7348 body octets) fetchmail:  flushed
> fetchmail: reading message neuffer@mail.uni-mainz.de:187 of 385 (5043 header octets) fetchmail:  (1689 body octets) fetchmail:  flushed
> fetchmail: reading message neuffer@mail.uni-mainz.de:188 of 385 (2259 header octets) fetchmail:  (305 body octets) fetchmail:  flushed
> fetchmail: reading message neuffer@mail.uni-mainz.de:189 of 385 (1585 header octets) fetchmail:  (13567 body octets) fetchmail:  flushe
> fetchmail: reading message neuffer@mail.uni-mainz.de:190 of 385 (2711 header octets) fetchmail:  (1363 body octets) fetchmail:  flushed

So, every 8 hours you get 35kB of mail, which takes something like 8
seconds to download on your ISDN line. If it was HTML, you'd be spending
20 seconds instead. Explain to me again how this matters?

--
   The Private Joakim Ziegler - Not Speaking For Anyone But Myself
    joakim@avmaria.com - http://www.avmaria.com - rdgzt@Undernet