[linux-elitists] HTML in e-mail

Michael Neuffer neuffer@neuffer.info
Thu Aug 21 21:47:03 PDT 2003

Quoting Joakim Ziegler (joakim@avmaria.com):
> On Thu, 2003-08-21 at 00:31, Michael Neuffer wrote:
> > Quoting Joakim Ziegler (joakim@avmaria.com):
> > > The malware argument is because of broken clients. The wasteful
> > > argument, well, that's slightly ridiculous in today's world of 100k+
> > > HTML pages and multi-megabit home internet connections.
>
> > And enough that still are -not by their own choice- behind
> > pay-per-minute dialup lines.
>
> Even then, people have 56k modems. They get an effective download speed
> of 5-6kB per second (actually, probably more, since they have
> compression). How big are mails? Multiply by 3 to get the size in
> multipart/alternative with HTML. Don't count the attachments, though, if
> people are sending you attachments, they'll send them anyway.
>
> Average size of mails on this list seems to be 3-4kB. So that's 12kB as
> multipart/alternative. 100 mails like that is 1.2MB, instead of 400kB.
> You increased download time on a modem from a little over a minute to 3
> and a half minutes.
>
> Does that matter? Really? Most people on those pay-per-minute dialup
> lines get nowhere close 100 mails per day.

Really ?

NB: In Germany people mostly have ISDN and no, usually you do
not get compression on it.

This is the tail of my fetchmail log. I started polling mail about
25min ago. This is the mail that came in within roughly the last 8 hours.

.
.
.
fetchmail: reading message neuffer@mail.uni-mainz.de:185 of 385 (2275 header octets) fetchmail:  (10464 body octets) fetchmail:  flushe