[linux-elitists] HTML in e-mail

James Morris jmorris@intercode.com.au
Thu Aug 21 17:51:37 PDT 2003

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003, Joakim Ziegler wrote:

> Average size of mails on this list seems to be 3-4kB. So that's 12kB as
> multipart/alternative. 100 mails like that is 1.2MB, instead of 400kB.
> You increased download time on a modem from a little over a minute to 3
> and a half minutes.
>
> Does that matter? Really? Most people on those pay-per-minute dialup
> lines get nowhere close 100 mails per day.

It seems to matter for corporate users that I know.

Because people are using HTML email, they're adding all kinds of crap to
their mails: large jpegs, 20 gifs at a time etc.  It becomes standard
practice in some departments to send each and every mail with animations,
background images, logos, music and whatever.

>From what I've seen, this is very painful for sales, consulting etc.
people off-site who need to dialup and quickly check for mail, especially
when their dialup system is also broken.

Although, I guess railing against HTML email these days is like pushing
shit uphill with a dead horse.

- James
--
James Morris