[linux-elitists] SCO and your local attorney general

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Tue Aug 19 14:08:02 PDT 2003

Wow. LWN has a massive "who can find the code from the SCO slides
in the earliest and most freely licensed place" contest.  So now
we know what Ian Lance Taylor was talking about when he wrote,
"Looking around the Net, I found close variants of the code, with
the same comments and variable names, in sources other than Linux
distributions."

The Mainstream Media (Bob McMillan) has the story now.
http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/08/19/HNscocode_1.html

It might be good at this point to back up or print out a copy of
the Caldera letter from
http://www.lemis.com/~grog/UNIX/ancient-source-all.pdf

My copy is at:
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/legal/ancient-source-all.pdf

Now what happens next?  Spencer Katt reports, "The legal eagle
claimed two large Linux customers are eyeing racketeering charges
against SCO for asking for money before it proves its case."

And I know of a non-US Linux consultant who plans to go to his/her
local equivalent of an attorney general with SCO's bogus invoices
if they arrive at her/his clients.

Anyone else know of plans to take the SCO mess to the criminal
justice system?  If so, is it in progress now, or just waiting on the
bogus invoice?  You can mail me off-list if you want to be anonymous.

KG6INA