[linux-elitists] Update--distribution for your mother?

Adam Kessel adam@bostoncoop.net
Mon Aug 18 12:48:00 PDT 2003

On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 08:36:51PM +0100, Geoff Lane wrote:
> Those of us who have used versioning filesystems (popular 25 odd years ago)
> know how useful they can be; equally we know the problems they present when
> used with uncooperative applications (such as those that do not, or cannot,
> use modify in place policies when updating files.)

Forgive my simplicity, but RCS has always worked well for me. It would be
easy enough to provide RCS wrappers for those applications you really
want to roll back...  I expect one could even design a simple GUI in a
matter of minutes that would let you return to whatever version of files
you wanted.

rdiff-backup also has a very nice switch --restore-as-of switch.  Again,
if you really need a frontend, it would be easy to do.

I can't see much benefit from introducing that level of complexity into
the filesystem when it can be implemented so easily at higher levels.
--
Adam Kessel
http://bostoncoop.net/adam