[linux-elitists] Update--distribution for your mother?

Greg KH greg@kroah.com
Mon Aug 18 11:46:35 PDT 2003

On Sun, Aug 17, 2003 at 08:21:52PM +0100, Geoff Lane wrote:

> The Linux kernel is an excellent foundation, but from the filesystem up to
> the GUI everything must change.  For example, this portable I'm typing on
> has a 60Gb hard disk.  I don't work on AV projects so that 60Gb will last me
> 80 years at the rate I generate new data before I would be forced to erase
> any old data.  Yet no filesystem provided with popular Linux distros can
> make use of this to provide rollback of files or entire filesystems
> following user mistakes.  "delete it and it's gone forever" is a lousy
> design principle for a device to be used by the casual user. A trash can is
> not a solution because it asks the casual user to understand how all the
> cogs, belts and chains are related.

Many people are eagerly awaiting the patches to the existing filesystem
code from you to implement these "much needed" new features.

</sarcasm>

greg k-h

/me adopts a new "put up or shut up" attitude...