[linux-elitists] Nigerian SCO mail: http://arstechnica.com/wankerdesk/03q2/nigerian-sco.html

Nick Moffitt nick@zork.net
Sun Aug 17 11:00:37 PDT 2003

I hereby declare this to be the last Nigerian Scam spoof to have any
humor value whatsoever!  Chain letter amalgamation jokes are hereby
banished to the comedic oubliette known as "irony"!

(been making the rounds)

DEAR SIR/MADAM:

I AM MR. DARL MCBRIDE CURRENTLY SERVING AS THE PRESIDENT AND CHIEF
EXECUTIVE OFFICER OF THE SCO GROUP, FORMERLY KNOWN AS CALDERA SYSTEMS
INTERNATIONAL, IN LINDON, UTAH, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. I KNOW THIS
LETTER MIGHT SURPRISE YOUR BECAUSE WE HAVE HAD NO PREVIOUS
COMMUNICATIONS OR BUSINESS DEALINGS BEFORE NOW.

MY ASSOCIATES HAVE RECENTLY MADE CLAIM TO COMPUTER SOFTWARES WORTH AN
ESTIMATED $1 BILLION U.S. DOLLARS. I AM WRITING TO YOU IN CONFIDENCE
BECAUSE WE URGENTLY REQUIRE YOUR ASSISTANCE TO OBTAIN THESE FUNDS.

IN THE EARLY 1970S THE AMERICAN TELEPHONE AND TELEGRAPH CORPORATION
DEVELOPED AT GREAT EXPENSE THE COMPUTER OPERATING SYSTEM SOFTWARE
KNOWN AS UNIX. UNFORTUNATELY THE LAWS OF MY COUNTRY PROHIBITED THEM
FROM SELLING THESE SOFTWARES AND SO THEIR VALUABLE SOURCE CODES
REMAINED PRIVATELY HELD. UNDER A SPECIAL ARRANGEMENT SOME PROGRAMMERS
FROM THE CALIFORNIA UNIVERSITY OF BERKELEY DID ADD MORE CODES TO THIS
OPERATING SYSTEM, INCREASING ITS VALUE, BUT NOT IN ANY WAY TO DILUTE
OR DISPARAGE OUR FULL AND RIGHTFUL OWNERSHIP OF THESE CODES, DESPITE
ANY AGREEMENT BETWEEN AMERICAN TELEPHONE AND TELEGRAPH AND THE
CALIFORNIA UNIVERSITY OF BERKELEY, WHICH AGREEMENT WE DENY AND
DISAVOW.

IN THE YEAR 1984 A CHANGE OF REGIME IN MY COUNTRY ALLOWED THE AMERICAN
TELEPHONE AND TELEGRAPH CORPORATION TO MAKE PROFITS FROM THESE
SOFTWARES. IN THE YEAR 1990 OWNERSHIP OF THESE SOFTWARES WAS
TRANSFERRED TO THE CORPORATION UNIX SYSTEM LABORATORIES. IN THE YEAR
1993 THIS CORPORATION WAS SOLD TO THE CORPORATION NOVELL. IN THE YEAR
1994 SOME EMPLOYEES OF NOVELL FORMED THE CORPORATION CALDERA SYSTEMS
INTERNATIONAL, WHICH BEGAN TO DISTRIBUTE AN UPSTART OPERATING SYSTEM
KNOWN AS LINUX. IN THE YEAR 1995 NOVELL SOLD THE UNIX SOFTWARE CODES
TO SCO. IN THE YEAR 2001 OCCURRED A SEPARATION OF SCO, AND THE SCO
BRAND NAME AND UNIX CODES WERE ACQUIRED BY THE CALDERA SYSTEMS
INTERNATIONAL, AND IN THE FOLLOWING YEAR THE CALDERA SYSTEMS
INTERNATIONAL WAS RENAMED SCO GROUP, OF WHICH I CURRENTLY SERVE AS
CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER.

MY ASSOCIATES AND I OF THE SCO GROUP ARE THEREFORE THE FULL AND
RIGHTFUL OWNERS OF THE OPERATING SYSTEM SOFTWARES KNOWN AS UNIX. OUR
ENGINEERS HAVE DISCOVERED THAT NO FEWER THAN SEVENTY (70) LINES OF OUR
VALUABLE AND PROPRIETARY SOURCE CODES HAVE APPEARED IN THE UPSTART
OPERATING SYSTEM LINUX. AS YOU CAN PLAINLY SEE, THIS GIVES US A CLAIM
ON THE MILLIONS OF LINES OF VALUABLE SOFTWARE CODES WHICH COMPRISE
THIS LINUX AND WHICH HAS BEEN SOLD AT GREAT PROFIT TO VERY MANY
BUSINESS ENTERPRISES. OUR LEGAL EXPERTS HAVE ADVISED US THAT OUR
CONTRIBUTION TO THESE CODES IS WORTH AN ESTIMATED ONE (1) BILLION U.S.
DOLLARS.

UNFORTUNATELY WE ARE HAVING DIFFICULTY EXTRACTING OUR FUNDS FROM THESE
COMPUTER SOFTWARES. TO THIS EFFECT I HAVE BEEN GIVEN THE MANDATE BY MY
COLLEAGUES TO CONTACT YOU AND ASK FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE. WE ARE PREPARED
TO SELL YOU A SHARE IN THIS ENTERPRISE, WHICH WILL SOON BE VERY
PROFITABLE, THAT WILL GRANT YOU THE RIGHTS TO USE THESE VALUABLE
SOFTWARES IN YOUR BUSINESS ENTERPRISE. UNFORTUNATELY WE ARE NOT ABLE
AT THIS TIME TO SET A PRICE ON THESE RIGHTS. THEREFORE IT IS OUR
RESPECTFUL SUGGESTION, THAT YOU MAY BE IMMEDIATELY A PARTY TO THIS
ENTERPRISE, BEFORE OTHERS ACCEPT THESE LUCRATIVE TERMS, THAT YOU SEND
US THE NUMBER OF A BANKING ACCOUNT WHERE WE CAN WITHDRAW FUNDS OF A
SUITABLE AMOUNT TO GUARANTEE YOUR PARTICIPATION IN THIS ENTERPRISE. AS
AN ALTERNATIVE YOU MAY SEND US THE NUMBER AND EXPIRATION DATE OF YOUR
MAJOR CREDIT CARD, OR YOU MAY SEND TO US A SIGNED CHECK FROM YOUR
BANKING ACCOUNT PAYABLE TO "SCO GROUP" AND WITH THE AMOUNT LEFT BLANK
FOR US TO CONVENIENTLY SUPPLY.

KINDLY TREAT THIS REQUEST AS VERY IMPORTANT AND STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL.
I HONESTLY ASSURE YOU THAT THIS TRANSACTION IS 100% LEGAL AND
RISK-FREE.

--
Support your droogs!

end