[linux-elitists] Update--distribution for your mother?

Andrew akohlsmith-le@benshaw.com
Sun Aug 17 07:49:51 PDT 2003

> So what would you recommend for your mother's computer?  An addition
> factor in that they have no broadband access, and also decent but not
> cutting edge hardware.

I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Slackware fan but I wouldn't recommend it for my mom
or anyone as an intro distribution.

I've tried the RedHats, Mandrakes, Debians and a host of fringe
distributions... none really were what I'd consider "mom-friendly" -- for
that my recommendation goes to SuSE.  Similar to you, I have not installed
it for my mom, but I _have_ for my father.  I specifically told him to buy
it for the support, although you could just as easily do an FTP install for
free.

So far so good.  He's had all the traditional questions that converts have,
but he seems to be sticking to it.  My father used to be king of batch
files.  The sheer power of Bash has him awed.  :-)

Regards,
Andrew