[linux-elitists] Web article attention span

Ben Finney ben@benfinney.id.au
Fri Aug 15 20:56:46 PDT 2003

On 15-Aug-2003, Gilad Ben-Yossef wrote:
> Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> >(What is it about web writing that decrees that paragraphs shall be
> >one sentence long?)
>
> Assumed attantion span of the audiance? :-)

Not such a poor assumption, nor is it necessarily a condescending one.

Most of us read Web articles using devices that are considerably less
comfortable to stare at or navigate with the eye than a printed article.
Our patience with the article is correspondingly reduced, so paragraphs
need to be shorter if they're to get as much attention.

--
 \         "I think it would be a good idea."  -- Mahatma Gandhi (when |
  `\                    asked what he thought of Western civilization) |