[linux-elitists] Sun comedians at work

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Fri Aug 15 16:58:33 PDT 2003

I picked up a shrink-wrapped Sun StarOffice 6.0 CD ("English, Evaluation
Software") at the San Francisco LWCE, and am just now getting around to
looking at it.  (The back blurb says it has the usual versions for
Solaris/SPARC, Solaris/Intel, Linux IA32, and Win32.)

Covering the shrinkwrap is a yellow sticker:  "BY OPENING THE SOFTWARE
MEDIA PACKAGE, YOU AGREE TO THE TERMS OF THE SOFTWARE EVALUATION
AGREEMENT INCLUDED IN THIS SOFTWARE MEDIA PACKAGE...."

I believe the first time I saw this sort of cute consent-before-reading
"agreement", it was Toshiba attempting to sleaze their way out of the
Microsoft Win9x EULA's refund clause.  See:
http://zork.net/refund/issuefour.html  ("Manufactured Consent", by Nick
Moffitt)

Ha, ha, that's really cute, Scott!  Very amusing.  But, no, I obviously
do not and cannot participate in "agreements" I've not yet been enabled
to consult.

Duly warned of the alleged consequences, I sliced through the dire words.
Jacta alea est.  CD face says:  "StarOffice 6.0 Evaluation Software.
Product Update 2."

"Use is subject to license terms.  Third-party software, including
font technology, is copyrighted and licensed from Sun suppliers.
Portions may be licensed from Berkeley BSD systems, licensed from U. of
CA...."

Mounting the disk, one can -- enfin -- peruse linux/office60/LICENSE :

  Binary Software Evaluation Agreement
  Terms of Agreement

  SUN IS WILLING TO LICENSE STAROFFICE TM, VERSION 6.0 SOFTWARE, IN
  BINARY FORM, TO YOU ONLY UPON THE CONDITION THAT YOU ACCEPT ALL OF
  THE TERMS CONTAINED IN THIS LICENSE AGREEMENT ("AGREEMENT"). PLEASE
  READ THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THIS LICENSE CAREFULLY. BY
  INSTALLING THIS SOFTWARE, YOU ACCEPT THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THIS
  LICENSE AGREEMENT.

Wait, I thought I'd already agreed.  Does this mean I can agree a second
time or un-agree once?  Where does that leave me?  I'm confused, Uncle
Scott.

  Licensee may not duplicate Licensed Software....  Licensee may not
  modify or create derivative works of the Licensed Software, or
  reverse engineer, disassemble or decompile binary portions....
  Licensee shall have no right to use the Licensed Software for
  productive or commercial use.

Expected stuff.

  This Agreement will commence on the date on which Licensee receives
  Licensed Software (the "Effective Date") and will expire ninety (90)
  days from the Effective Date, unless terminated earlier as provided below.

Aha.  Thus "evaluation".