[linux-elitists] SCO claims the GPL is invalid...?

Wendell Cochran atrypa@eskimo.com
Fri Aug 15 06:46:27 PDT 2003

Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 11:17:49 +0100
From: "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com>

> On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 07:44:43AM -0600, Jonathan Corbet (corbet-elite@lwn=
=2Enet) wrote:
>> It's in the Inquirer, so it must be true:
[SNIP]
>> (What is it about web writing that decrees that paragraphs shall be one
>> sentence long?)

Karsten suggests that `it's an AP / newspaper style thing,' & notes
correctly
that newspaper paragraphs are often inordinately long.]

I no longer collect newspaper stylebooks, but if any ever dictated
one sentence per graf it must've been well over 50 years ago.
Editors do often urge reporters to write 'em shorter in aid of
readability, & excesses we have always with us.

The persistent excess cited by Jon is only a fad, like the and/or
slash -- an example of a general problem in the Web.  Too many
webmasters & Web writers are reinventing wheels, & often their new
wheels are polygonal, turning on off-center axles, & running on flat
tires.

And the twits mimic each other.

Wendell Cochran
West Seattle

[See _The Meme Machine_, by Susan Blackmore (1999 Oxford).  Thesis: man
is a mimicking mammal.]