[linux-elitists] TrustCommerce

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Fri Aug 15 03:22:27 PDT 2003

on Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 10:29:58AM -0600, Jonathan Corbet (corbet-elite@lwn.net) wrote:
> > Instead of retaining the user's credit card, they assign a billing
> > authorization code for that account and you retain that on file and
> > present it for future billings.  If your system is ever compromised
> > and someone makes off with the authorization codes, you can simply
> > tell the processor to blacklist all codes that have been assigned
> > to you.
>
> We use the TrustCommerce billing ID mechanism too; it's even better than
> that, really.  If somebody breaks our server and gets all the billing IDs,
> the *only* thing they can do with those IDs is charge more money into *our*
> account.  Unless the cracker also figures out a way to get money out of our
> bank account, the billing IDs are useless to them, even before they get
> cancelled.

Slick.  This is where credit cards really need to go.

BTW:  does anyone here sell biometrics for less than $50k?  I'm talking
prints, signatures, scans, voicepirnts.  You can Just Say No at the
salescounter.  Can be downright amusing, particularly if there's a long
line....

Jon's comment reminds me of a forced-command SSH environment I worked
with.  Worst that could happen would be...someone could get the
(unprotected) key and...run our system maintenance commands for us.

Peace.

   Office Despot: Office Depot embraces Microsoft XP logo requirement.
     http://www.aaxnet.com/editor/edit030.html
     http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=8472