[linux-elitists] The SCO teleconference

Geoff Lane zzassgl@buffy.sighup.org.uk
Thu Aug 14 10:22:28 PDT 2003

On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 10:06:31AM -0600, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> Fortunately, I think the GPL will prove stronger than SCO.

RMS didn't just dream up GPL.  Legal advice was used to write it and modify
it over the years.  Even in the highly unlikely event that GPL is determined
to be invalid, ordinary copyright is still claimed as listed in the various
source comments.  Last time I looked national copyright laws (usually based
on the Berne Copyright Convention) represented the minimum rights awarded to
the licensees of copyright material.  The copyright owner can specify as
many or as few additional rights and conditions as they wish (though you
rapidly get into inferred contract law when you do that - a dark and scary
place.)

SCO really should hire a good media law expert.

--
Geoff Lane
7 Aug 03 - The day SCO died; just waiting for the body to hit the ground.