[linux-elitists] Pro-Linux FUD

Dan Wilder dan@ssc.com
Thu Aug 14 09:15:43 PDT 2003

On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 09:59:47AM -0600, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> Hmm... http://newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=03/08/13/1258252

[ ... ]

> (The article also claims that the GNU FTP server compromise was performed
> by somebody with physical access to the system, which strikes me as
> unlikely).

According to the FSF,

    It appears that the machine was cracked using a ptrace exploit by
    by a local user immediately after the exploit was posted.

    http://ftp.gnu.org/MISSING-FILES.README

A careless reader might think

    "local user" == "person with physical access".

especially if that reader is familiar mostly with OSs offering minimal
remote access capability.

--
Dan Wilder