[linux-elitists] USA Fair Trade Act and Qui Tem

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Mon Aug 11 09:35:12 PDT 2003

begin Geoff Lane quotation of Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 01:56:13PM +0100:

> Great idea, issuing a false invoice is fraud.

Last time I opened mail for a company, it was also very common.
The perpetrator sends out a bunch of invoices for office supplies or
"directory listings", and counts on a few Accounts Payable people
making a mistake and paying, or paying because they don't to get
blamed for the company not showing up in the real Yellow Pages
or something.

Verisign has been accused of doing something similar with domain
name registrations:
http://www.politechbot.com/p-03298.html

Companies that have their stuff together just bounce such invoices
because they don't have a purchase order (PO) number or a vendor ID.

I don't think that current accounting software will even _let_
Accounts Payable pay an invoice if there's no PO number.

Darl must not have gotten an invoice paid by a big company in
a while.

KG6INA