[linux-elitists] crinminal vs civil

Lance Simmons lance@lsimmons.net
Sat Aug 9 10:15:04 PDT 2003

On Sat, Aug 09, 2003 at 12:36:52PM -0400, Adam Kessel wrote:

> FWIW, only a tiny fraction of criminal cases are decided by a judge
> (or jury) either.  A vast majority of criminal defendants plead
> guilty.  In that case, the judge's only role is to make sure the terms
> of the plea agreement is proper.

While what you say is true in the U.S., some European countries don't
allow plea bargaining, because they believe it would be unjust to
convict someone of a lesser charge when a more serious charge would be
warranted.  We Americans have a long tradition of pragmatism, and we are
willing to be fairly explicit about how we balance expediency and
justice.

--
Lance Simmons
Irving, Texas