[linux-elitists] SCO Media Statement Re IBM Counterclaims

Geoff Lane zzassgl@buffy.sighup.org.uk
Thu Aug 7 14:48:11 PDT 2003

> > If IBM were serious about addressing the real problems with
> > Linux, it would offer full customer indemnification and move away
> > from the GPL license.

I would be interested to discover ANY general software customer
indemnification that covered any more than the purchase price[1].  Neither SCO,
nor Microsoft cover anything more - and to attempt more would be insane,
opening the company up to unlimited damages from 3rd party litigation
against it's customers.  This complaint is a straw man offered in the hope
that IBM will do something _really_ stupid and reward SCO for threatening
Linux customers.

[1] I'm sure that other arrangements can be negotiated in special cases, but
here we are talking about over-the-counter sales and downloads not bespoke
software written to contract.

--
Geoff Lane
7 Aug 03 - The day SCO died; just waiting for the body to fall to the floor.