[linux-elitists] Re: SCO ANNOUNCES INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY LICENSE FOR LINUX

Phil Hughes fyl@a42.com
Tue Aug 5 13:25:37 PDT 2003

Aside from an assortment of other comments, it continues to amaze me
that you incorrectly use trademarks. This seems important at a time when
you are playing legal games yourself.

Specifically:
 * You don't identify the owner of the UNIX trademark and it is implied
   from your other mumblings that you own it. That is, you own the IP
   so someone would expect you to own the trademark. That is not the
   case.
 * This is the first press release where I see that you indicate that
   Linux is a trademark. But, again, you do not identify the owner and
   your title would lead one to believe that you own it.
 * UnixWare certainly could not be a trademark as it includes Unix
   which is a registered trademark of another. Reminds me of when
   Everex tried to trademark ENIX but could not because it was a part
   of Xenix. I don't remember if this was before or after Microsoft
   transfered the Xenix trademark to SCO.

--
Phil Hughes, fyl@a42.com  Phone/FAX: 506-483-1265
Aptdo. 89-4060, Alajuela, Costa Rica