[linux-elitists] SCO stuff, of course

Michael Still mikal@stillhq.com
Mon Aug 4 19:18:34 PDT 2003

> If you're bored, you can also have a look at:
>
> 	http://www.forbes.com/2003/08/04/cz_dl_0804linux.html
>
> It's a good case study in what happens when the completely clueless try
> to be funny...

GROKLAW's commentary on this issue (http://radio.weblogs.com/0120124/) is
really good as well:
That's not much of a threat, since Red Hat has already asked the court to
rule on the copyright issue. Remember the nasty guy at Forbes who wrote
the  article,  "What SCO Wants SCO Gets?" It's the one SCO plastered up on
its web site. Well, he's beside himself being scornful about Red Hat
seeking a preliminary injunction. He sneeringly compares it to asking a
judge to say you aren't a bank robber before you've been charged with a
crime. But he's soooo off-base. Ditto all the Slashdotters, 5 pages' worth
so far, saying this case will take another 5 years to even get to court.
They're wrong too.
It's going to go fast now. A prelim is designed to prevent having to watch
your business being ruined while you wait for someone to sue you. It's
exactly what I figured somebody would do and should do. It's normal to do
what Red Hat is doing. It means SCO now has to show the code it believes
is infringing. Now. As part of the preliminary injunction proceedings. But
here is the point: you only go for a preliminary injunction if you figure
your position is solid.</blockquote>

Cheers,
Mikal