[linux-elitists] AOL says goodbye to AT&T/Comcast and residential mail spools

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Mon Apr 28 09:45:27 PDT 2003

begin Marc MERLIN quotation of Sun, Apr 27, 2003 at 06:40:47PM -0700:
> On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 09:45:08AM -0400, Shawn McMahon wrote:
> > 1) Alert the DNSBLs that this IP is static, not dynamic, so they can
> > update their lists.  They will.
>
> In my sf.net days, I contacted the MAPS DUL multiple times about them
> listing people with static IPs (DSL usually), and gave specific
> examples.
> They never so much as acknowledged my ticket.
> For that matter, it may still be lingering unanswered in their system,
> more than a year later...

And that's just one of the "famous" blacklists.  There sure are a lot of
the damn things:

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/ip4r.ch?ip=198.144.202.250

The host that this list is on does not seem to have any entries
right now.  (It's on a DSL line with static addresses).  If a user
has a blacklist-related problem getting mail from here, it's the
user's responsibility to get the blacklist to change the entry,
get their postmaster to stop using the blacklist, or get a different
postmaster.

>From the "things that should be obvious" department: Reading a DNS
book, putting on a tin helmet, and declaring yourself an anti-spam
warrior does not oblige the mail server administrators of the world
to do extra work to placate you.

--
Don Marti                  Even if we don't get DMCA reform, loudly
http://zgp.org/~dmarti     demanding DMCA reform is going to get the