[linux-elitists] AOL says goodbye to AT&T/Comcast and residential mail spools

Andrew akohlsmith-le@benshaw.com
Mon Apr 14 11:42:10 PDT 2003

> First, remember that load average *isn't* a measure of CPU demand.  It's
> a measure of how many jobs are in the current run queue.  Which includes
> jobs that are blocked for IO.

Yes, I am aware of that.

> If you're running extensive tests on Spamassassin, including DNS
> lookups, your SA child processes may block for IO.  Increasing CPU won't

I don't do any network-related spam tests -- no Vipul, no DNS, nada.
Straight content-based filtering.  When I set the system up I didn't want
to have to rely on any outside sources of information in order to determine
the spamminess of a message.

> help you here.  Distributing the load across a number of systems
> probably will both ruduce load on each given system, and (likley)
> improve your total throughput.  The SA daemon isn't particularly
> scalable, though this has been improving.  It should be good for most
> mid-sized domains (I was running it with ~15k addresses last year).

That is good to know.  I am in the middle of designing the next-gen system
for this ISP's backend so it's good to know that I'm on the right track
here.  :-)

Regards,
Andrew