[linux-elitists] AOL says goodbye to AT&T/Comcast and residential mail spools

Shawn McMahon smcmahon@eiv.com
Mon Apr 14 09:22:48 PDT 2003

On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 09:14:50AM -0700, Rick Moen said:

> In any event, what I was responding to was your assertion that declining
> to relay through a bandwidth provider's MTA is "irrational".  I posted
> a list of what struck me as quite rational objections.  So, now you call
> them "excellent" and immediately change the subject.  <bemused>
>
> I believe this is a debate tactic called "arguing the alternative" in
> legal circles.

Actually, it's a debate tactic called "conceding the other guy's point
because he proved he was right, but continuing to debate other points
because the one point didn't render the entire argument moot".  I don't
know the technical name for that, it's not something you do in a debate
class, it's something you do when you're having a discussion about
something and you care more about being right than being perceived as
right.  I realize that backing down on a point when it's proven wrong is
a foreign concept to the primary lists in which you hang out.

> > Yes, they have; but that excellent point still doesn't obligate the rest
> > of us to receive lots of spam.
>
> This would perhaps be a -- ahem -- rational objection if someone had
> adopted that position.

Perhaps there is something wrong with your email client.  At least one
person has stated that it's wrong to block dynamic IPs.  That of
necessity will mean receiving more spam for most of the people bothering
to block them, especially AOL, which was the original site being
discussed..  If you missed those messages, I'm sure you know how to
find your mailing list archives.

--
Shawn McMahon     | Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill,
EIV Consulting    | that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any