[linux-elitists] AOL says goodbye to AT&T/Comcast and residential mail spools

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Mon Apr 14 09:14:50 PDT 2003

Quoting Shawn McMahon (smcmahon@eiv.com):

> [list of excellent reasons to pay for a static IP deleted]

I believe the gentlemen has stated that they are doing so, as have
others who are affected.

Now, elsewhere you have said that they can make the problem go away by
informing the various DNSBLs of that fact.  If you're correct, that
would seem their best immediate solution.  However, that assumption
strikes me as untested, at this point:  They may be willing to make
such changes only for entire netblocks, and possibly only by arrangement
with the netblock owner.

In any event, what I was responding to was your assertion that declining
to relay through a bandwidth provider's MTA is "irrational".  I posted
a list of what struck me as quite rational objections.  So, now you call
them "excellent" and immediately change the subject.  <bemused>

I believe this is a debate tactic called "arguing the alternative" in
legal circles.

> Yes, they have; but that excellent point still doesn't obligate the rest
> of us to receive lots of spam.

This would perhaps be a -- ahem -- rational objection if someone had
adopted that position.

Shawn, if you're going to keep hurling out rhetoric, at least take the
trouble to make it self-consistent and leave the straw men at home.

rick@linuxmafia.com     modern-American-English-usage-improvement association.