[linux-elitists] AOL says goodbye to AT&T/Comcast and residential mail spools

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Mon Apr 14 08:47:42 PDT 2003

Quoting Shawn McMahon (smcmahon@eiv.com):

> I faced this problem for all of five minutes,
> because I didn't irrationally refuse to use a smarthost.

Disadvantages have already been noted.  It's very common for bandwidth
providers' MTAs to impose:

o  Very low maximum size limits
o  Unpredictable delivery times that may be sometimes in _months_ rather
   than seconds, if not just silently dropping the mail on the floor.
o  Refusal to process outbound mail with a From domain differing from
   the bandwidth provider's own mail.
o  Failures to respect various RFCs (as, for example, aol.com does).
o  Censorship on content.
o  And all of the above may come and go without notice.

I do my own mail delivery largely in order to avoid such things, and
to keep my mail service deterministic.  I.e., I _like_ knowing whether
my mail actually got delivered or not.  So, I think Aaron, Karsten, et
al. have made an excellent point.

--
Cheers,                    I've been suffering death by PowerPoint, recently.
Rick Moen                                                     -- Huw Davies